The NYC Department of Finance sells tax debt owed to the city to private speculative debt collectors each year through the tax lien sale. It routinely includes active nonprofits, even though they are exempt from paying taxes as per New York State law.
Our successful campaign in 2017 brought together grassroots and elected advocates to protect 360 key community properties from the annual sale and to champion new legislation that will stop this problem in future years! Now we are turning to the properties put at risk by prior years’ sales.
We could use your help contacting the people who run these places:
Kips Bay Community Association, Inc.Metro Comm Meth ChurchMt Pleasant ChristianChurch of the Master, Inc.The Minority Task Force on Aids, Inc.St Peter’s Lutheran ChurchMHHC Corp.The True Witness Shiloh Apostolic ChurchMMC CorporationChurch of God of Crotona Avenue, Inc.Baitul Aman Islamic Center Inc.Jerusalem Christian Church IncCongregation OHR MenachemMorning Star Highway Church of ChristCongregation & Yeshiva Ateres Shmiel DsaylishSt Grace Prot Chapl IWyckoff Heights MedicBorough Development GroupLinroc Nursing HomeinPaul J Cooper Center for Human Services Inc.Fernande Valme MinistriesToldos Yakov Yosef, Inc.Congregation TehilosYeshiva Gedolah Tefereth ShmuelMor Markowitz (clergy)Jesus is Lord Church of SDASephardic Center of MiCongregation VayechiyosPentecostal Faith CHUBushwick Helping Hand/ Randolph Ferdinand MinistriesBeth Shalom IncCongregation Nachlei EmunahCongregation V’yoel MOvercoming Love Ministries Inc.Bushwick Helping Hand/ Randolph Ferdinand MinistriesBangladesh Society InBethel InternationalEMMANUEL FULL GOSPEL ASSEMBLIES, INC.THE AFRIKAN POETRY THEATRE, INC.Angeldocs, Inc.Rugged Cross Ch./PrayMt. Pleasant PentecostCONG. U.T.A. OF BAYSWATER, INCHaven MinistriesNew Greater Bethel Interdenominational Church, Inc.Yeshiva and Masivta Tiferes Torah
These groups may not know that they have a lien. They may need help reaching the NYC Department of Finance Taxpayer Advocate so they can get that lien defected. They may need help finding a lawyer to defend a foreclosure proceeding. Here’s what you can do:
Use the green sections of this spreadsheet to track your progress. When you contact people, you can say:
- The city illegally charged you taxes between 2011 and 2016, even though you are a nonprofit.
- They sold the debt on those illegally-charged taxes to Wall Street investors sometime between 2011 and 2016.
- Those collectors can initiate foreclosure on your place. Let’s stop that from happening!
- To stop it, contact David Crotty at the Taxpayer Advocate’s office immediately: CrottyD@finance.nyc.gov, (212) 312-6588. Tell him that you are a nonprofit and that the lien against your property that was sold between 2011 and 2016 needs to be defected.
- Contact Mara at 596 Acres for any further assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org, (718) 316-6092 X3.
Thank you for helping protect our places!