** updated May 25, 2015 **
Last week, NYC Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) published a list of 181 City-owned properties included in a Request for Qualifications for developers to build rental and ownership housing within the limits set by the program and in exchange get the land for free. The program is described here: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/developers/request-for-qualifications/nihop-ncp-rfq.page (link updated February 5, 2015; HPD moved the RFQ to a different place on its website).
Eighteen of the sites selected are currently active community gardens. Over 750 sites in HPD’s inventory were not included.
These are the impacted gardens:
- Harlem Valley
- Jackie Robinson Community Garden
- Harlem Grown – Greenhouse
- Electric Ladybug Community Garden
- Pleasant Village Community Garden
- McKinley’s Children’s Garden
- Isabahliah Ladies of Elegance
- La Casita Verde
- Halsey, Ralph & Howard Community Garden
- EL Garden
- Patchen Community Square
- 462 Halsey Community Garden
- Ten Neighbors Garden
- Tranquility Farm
- Brownsville Student Farm
- Imani Garden
- New Harvest Community Garden
- Green Valley Communtiy Garden and Farmers Market
The map below shows which properties were included in the list, which properties in HPD’s inventory were not included and where the gardens included in the list are located. Click here for a larger version.